from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The fleshy, spore-bearing inner mass of a puffball.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The fleshy, spore-bearing inner mass of certain fungi.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The chambered sporogenous tissue forming the central mass of the sporophore in puff balls, stinkhorns, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of pteropods.
- n. A genus of true siphonophorous hydrozoans, of the family Hippopodiidæ, related to Diphyes, but having more than two nectocalyxes of characteristic hippocrepiform Structure.
- n. [I. c] In botany, in gasteromycetous fungi, the chambered part of the fructification, upon the walls of whose cavities the spores are borne. Also glebula.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. fleshy spore-bearing inner mass of e.g. a puffball or stinkhorn
Latin glēba, clod.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)