from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- A group of entomostracous crustaceans, containing the phyllopods, copepods, and ostracodes, as a suborder of Entomostraca.
- A tribe of true cope-pods, having a completely segmented body and masticatory mouth-parts, and being for the most part not parasitic. It contains the families Cyclopidæ, Calanidæ, and Notodelphyidæ.
- n. A tribe of irregular echinoids having a central peristome surrounded by a perignathic girdle, the ambulacra all similar, and the jaws present but sometimes rudimentary. It includes both living and extinct genera.
- n. A name given by Haeckel to a superclass of vertebrates containing the forms with true jaws, (normally) two pairs of limbs, and double nostrils. Same as Gnathostomi and synonomous with Amphirhina.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. comprising all vertebrates with upper and lower jaws
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.