American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A golden image of a sacrificial calf fashioned by Aaron and worshiped by the Israelites.
- n. Money as an object of worship; mammon.
- n. The subject of intense veneration: "Arms control . . . has evolved [into] the golden calf of liberalism” ( Patrick J. Buchanan).
- n. A golden image of a calf, made by Aaron and worshipped by the Israelites.
- n. by extension Money as an end in itself; mammon.
- n. (Old Testament) an idol made by Aaron for the Israelites to worship; destroyed by Moses; it is now used to refer to anything worshipped undeservedly
“A companion of this Marshal's told the people that “the Scripture was their golden calf and they danced round it.””
These user-created lists contain the word ‘golden calf’.
cat-o-nine-tails, snake in the grass, puppy love, white elephant, crocodile tears, monkey business, keep the wolf fro..., culture vulture, black sheep of th..., scapegoat, ugly duckling, swan song and 260 more...
Looking for tweets for golden calf.