from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A golden image of a sacrificial calf fashioned by Aaron and worshiped by the Israelites.
- n. Money as an object of worship; mammon.
- n. The subject of intense veneration: "Arms control . . . has evolved [into] the golden calf of liberalism” ( Patrick J. Buchanan).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A golden image of a calf, made by Aaron and worshipped by the Israelites.
- n. Money as an end in itself; mammon.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Old Testament) an idol made by Aaron for the Israelites to worship; destroyed by Moses; it is now used to refer to anything worshipped undeservedly
Sorry, no etymologies found.