from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A gold coin.
- n. A kind of apple; a goldling.
- n. The corn marigold (Chrysanthemum segetum).
- n. The ladybird (familia Coccinellidae).
- n. A kind of red hop, a sub-variety of the Canterbury hop.
- v. Present participle of gold.
First attested circa 1580; formed as gold + -ing. (Wiktionary)
First attested in 1798; from the surname (Golding) of the man who developed the sub-variety (in 1790). (Wiktionary)
gold (“pyrolyse food to a golden brown”) + -ing (Wiktionary)