from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An asexually produced reproductive cell, such as a zeospore, found in certain algae.
- n. An algal cell filled with chlorophyll, formed in the thallus of a lichen.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A photosynthetic algal cell in the thallus of a lichen; a similar asexual reproductive cell in some algae
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A special groove or furrow at one or both angles of the mouth of many Anthozoa.
- n. A component cell of the yellowish green layer in certain lichens.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In algol., a reproductive body produced asexually, as a tetraspore or zoöspore.
- n. In bryology, a cell filled with granules.
- n. One of the green or chlorophyl-bearing elements of lichens, usually occurring in the thalli in a distinct layer, but sometimes not definitely arranged.
New Latin, from Greek gonos, seed, offspring; see gono-.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)