from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See grapple.
- n. Nautical See grapnel.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of grapple.
- n. An act in which something is grappled or grappled with
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A laying fast ho1d of; also, that by which anything is seized and held, a grapnel.
- n. A grapple; a struggle. A match for yards in fight, in grappling for the bear.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. That by which anything is seized and held; a grapnel.
- n. An anchorage.
- n. A lernæan parasite of the menhaden: so called from having the shape of a grappling-iron.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of engaging in close hand-to-hand combat
- n. the sport of hand-to-hand struggle between unarmed contestants who try to throw each other down
Sorry, no etymologies found.