from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several greenish nonvenomous snakes, especially Opheodrys vernalis of eastern North America or Natrix natrix of Europe.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A nonvenomous snake, Natrix natrix, native to Europe, with a yellow collar.
- n. A greenish nonvenomous snake, Opheodrys vernalis, of North America.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The common green snake of the Northern United States. See Green snake, under Green.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Same as ringed snake (which see, under snake).
- n. In the United States, the green-snake.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of numerous nonvenomous longitudinally-striped viviparous North American and Central American snakes
- n. harmless European snake with a bright yellow collar; common in England
- n. either of two North American chiefly insectivorous snakes that are green in color
Sorry, no etymologies found.