from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. Freely; in the manner of a gift, without being earned.
- adv. In a manner not demanded by the circumstances, without reason, justification, cause, or proof.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In a gratuitous manner; without cost to the recipient, freely.
- Without sufficient cause or reason: as, a principle gratuitously assumed.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. in an uncalled-for manner
From gratuitous + -ly. (Wiktionary)