from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A large gray European goose (Anser anser) having pinkish legs and feet and a pink to orangish bill.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The common European wild goose, Anser anser
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The common wild gray goose (Anser anser) of Europe, believed to be the wild form of the domestic goose. See Illust. of goose.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The common gray or wild goose of Europe, Anser cinereus or ferus; the fen-, marsh-, or stubble-goose, the wild original of the domestic goose.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. common grey wild goose of Europe; ancestor of many domestic breeds
Possibly gray1 + lag1, lingering behind (obsolete), from its being the last of the geese to leave England on its annual migration.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)