from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. The main room of a palace, castle or large manor house in the Middle Ages, or in a country house of the 16th and early 17th centuries
  • n. The principal building of a manor or castle compound

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. the principal hall in a castle or mansion; can be used for dining or entertainment


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Sorry, no example sentences found.

Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.