from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A common Eurasian finch (Carduelis chloris) having green and yellow plumage.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of five distinct species of bird:
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A European finch (Ligurinus chloris); -- called also green bird, green linnet, green grosbeak, green olf, greeny, and peasweep.
- n. The Texas sparrow (Embernagra rufivirgata), in which the general color is olive green, with four rufous stripes on the head.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A European green grosbeak, Coccothraustes or Ligurinus chloris: so called from its color. Also called green linnet, green grosbeak, greenbird, green olf, and greeny.—2. See green finch , under finch.
green + finch (Wiktionary)