American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of various small greenish birds of the genus Hylophilus of Central and South America, related to the vireos.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A bird of the family Vireonidæ, small migratory insectivorous birds peculiar to America, of which the characteristic color is greenish or olive; a vireo. There are several genera and numerous species, four of them among the commonest birds of the eastern United States, and sweet songsters. The red-eyed greenlet is Vireo olivaceus; the warbling greenlet is V. gilvus; the white-eyed greenlet is V. noveboracensis; the blue-headed greenlet is V. solitarius. See
- n. Some other small greenish bird.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) One of numerous species of small American singing birds, of the genus Vireo, as the solitary, or blue-headed (Vireo solitarius); the brotherly-love (V. Philadelphicus); the warbling greenlet (V. gilvus); the yellow-throated greenlet (V. flavifrons) and others. See vireo.
- n. (Zoöl,) Any species of Cyclorhis, a genus of tropical American birds allied to the tits.
- green + -let (Wiktionary)
“But the red-eyed greenlet is rather a wood-bird, and we must not look for his nest in the village.”
“His brother, the white-eyed greenlet, frequently builds in towns, even in the ornamental trees of our largest cities, in the fine sycamores of the older streets of Philadelphia, for instance.”
“At last we had before us the rare and long-desired Philadelphia greenlet.”
“England species (I omit the brotherly-love greenlet, never having been fortunate enough to know him) the white-eye is decidedly the most ambitious, the warbling and the solitary are the most pleasing, while the red-eye and the yellow-throat are very much alike, and both of them rather too monotonous and persistent.”
“The white-eyed greenlet is a vocalist of such extraordinary versatility and power that one feels almost guilty in speaking of him under the title which stands at the head of this paper.”
“If your wsgi applications perform a certain subset of blocking calls which have been monkeypatched by eventlet to cooperate instead (such as operations in the socket module), you can configure each process to run only a single main thread and cooperate using greenlet microthreads instead.”
“Deferreds are not ideal but without proper coroutines (stackless, greenlet, etc) or message dispatch (see Erlang) in the core language they're a reasonable way to model async processes.”
“* py. magic.greenlet: micro-threads on standard CPython ( "stackless-light") and PyPy”
“· py. magic.greenlet: micro-threads on standard CPython ( "stackless-light") and PyPy”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘greenlet’.
birds with singular names from
at least 9 English dictionaries
A lits of greens: cooked leafy vegetables; pigments, paint names, compound words, etc; words and phrases that pertain to or contain "green". Please add your favorites!
See this list f...
A bunch of -let words, emphasis on the diminutive. Feel free to neologize.
green,how its used
Words that have only one of the vowels. On this list I include only words with at least three vowels. When I first started the list, if a word had several forms, I generally listed only the one wit...
A work in progress....Birds from around the world (other than endemic to North America).
Looking for tweets for greenlet.