from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A yellow to brown or red mineral, CdS, the only ore of cadmium.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A rare cadmium mineral that consists of cadmium sulfide in crystalline form.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Native cadmium sulphide, a mineral occurring in yellow hexagonal crystals, also as an earthy incrustation.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Native cadmium sulphid, a rare mineral occurring in hemimorphic hexagonal crystals of a honey-yellow or orange-yellow color, and also as a pulverulent incrustation on sphalerite.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. ore of cadmium; a rare yellowish mineral consisting of cadmium sulphide in crystalline form
After Charles Murray Cathcart, Second Earl Greenock (1783-1859), British soldier.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Lord Greenock, on whose land the mineral was discovered, and -ite. (Wiktionary)