from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Baseball A ground ball.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A ground ball.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A batted ball that hits the ground before it leaves the infield, or the act of hitting a baseball along the ground; also called ground ball; -- contrasted with
flyor fly ball.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In base-ball and similar games, a ball knocked or thrown along the ground and not rising into the air.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (baseball) a hit that travels along the ground
Sorry, no etymologies found.
• The final out: Marlins pitcher Josh Beckett fields a grounder from the Yankees 'Jorge Posada and tags him out, giving Florida the series victory in Game 6 at New York.
The crowd did that collectively when Richard fielded a routine grounder from the Twins 'Midre Cummings at first base with two outs in the first inning of the series finale and, attempting a forceout at second, threw the ball into left field.
Like a baseball umpire calling a grounder over the bag.
Is a one hopper that skips past the infield classified as a grounder or a liner?
"grounder," these are tests of brightness quite as indicative of mental power as the ability to win highest marks in school, while less injurious to physical power.
"over the fence" holes for a home run; after first base, second and third had to be hit successively before a home run could be scored, and to make it harder there was a "grounder" hole near third base which put one out of the game; balls which merely struck the curtain were counted as fouls, four fouls being out.
Speed is also a very important part of the game and if your feet are not properly supported it could be the difference between being safe or out when stealing, running to 1st base, tracking down a grounder or catching a fly ball in the outfield.
But Rodriguez also made an impressive defensive play in the sixth, bare-handing a slow-rolling grounder to get the speedy Ben Revere out at first
The third baseman went 0-5 and bobbled a grounder.
But Nova set down the next three in order on nine pitches, striking out two and inducing a grounder to first, all on sliders.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.