from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several brownish seaweeds of the genus Sargassum of tropical Atlantic waters, having rounded air bladders and often forming dense, floating masses. Also called sargasso, sargassum.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. sargassum
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a branching seaweed (Sargassum bacciferum, or sea grape), having numerous berrylike air vessels, -- found in the Gulf Stream, in the Sargasso Sea, and elsewhere.
- n. A brown seaweed (Sargassum bacciferum) with rounded bladders forming dense floating masses in tropical Atlantic waters as in the Sargasso Sea.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A coarse olive seaweed, Sargassum bacciferum, belonging to the suborder Fucaceæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. brown algae with rounded bladders forming dense floating masses in tropical Atlantic waters as in the Sargasso Sea
After the Gulf of Mexico .(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)