from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The piece of flint used to strike the igniting spark in a flintlock.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The piece of flint or other suitable natural stone that is used in a flintlock weapon to generate a spark
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A sharpened flint for the lock of a gun, to ignite the charge. It was in common use before the introduction of percussion caps.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A piece of shaped flint fixed in the lock of a musket or pistol, before percussion-caps were used, to fire the charge.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the piece of flint that provides the igniting spark in a flintlock weapon
Sorry, no etymologies found.