from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The stalk of a pistil.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The stalk of a pistil
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The pedicel raising the pistil or ovary above the stamens, as in the passion flower.
- n. One of the branches bearing the female gonophores, in certain Siphonophora.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In botany, an elongation or internode of the receptacle of a flower, bearing the gynœcium, as the stipe of a pod in some Cruciferæ and Capparidaceæ.
- n. In Hydrozoa, the branch of a gonoblastidium which bears female gonophores, or those reproductive receptacles or generative buds which contain ova only, as distinguished from male gonophores or androphores. See cut under gonoblastidium.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the stalk of a pistil that raises it above the receptacle
gyno- + -phore (Wiktionary)