from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A large falcon (Falco rusticolus) of Arctic regions, having color phases that range from black to gray to white.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any large falcon, especially as used to fly at herons.
- n. A large bird of prey that breeds on Arctic coasts and islands of North America, Europe and Asia.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of several species and varieties of large Arctic falcons, esp. Falco rusticolus and the white species Falco Islandicus, both of which are circumpolar. The black and the gray are varieties of the former. See Illust. of accipiter.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. See gerfalcon.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. large and rare Arctic falcon having white and dark color phases
Middle English girfaucoun, from Old French girfaut, gerfaucon : Old High German gīr, vulture + Old French faucon, falcon; see falcon.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old French gerfaucon (modern French gerfaut), with the first element probably from Old High German gīr ("vulture") (whence the German Geier). (Wiktionary)