American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Islam One who has memorized the Koran.
- n. Islam Used as a title of respect for such a person.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A title or appellative of a Mohammedan who knows the whole of the Koran by heart.
- Persian, from Arabic حافظ ḥāfiẓ, present participle of حفظ ḥáfiẓa 'to guard, know by heart'. (Wiktionary)
- Arabic ḥāfiẓ, guardian, hafiz, active participle of ḥafiẓa, to guard, memorize; see ḥpṭ in Semitic roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Those who memorize the Quran -- a task Muslims regard as a noble, virtuous endeavor looked upon highly by God -- receive the title "hafiz.”
“Planning to visit Tirupati in the second week of January 2010, is it right time to visit there? ya its good and cool weather book the room and plan the darshan timings also by taking token in ttd chennai anybody know shabana/zaib origin from india mumbai (dongri) fathers name hafiz, sister rafiqa?”
“As a 'hafiz' (someone who has memorised the holy Islamic text) of the Qur'an, he is a respected member of the American Muslim community, Obama said about Hussain, announcing his appointment last week as his envoy to the Organisation of Islamic Countries, a 57-nation grouping.”
“It took Umar 2 1/2 years at the Institute of Islamic Education in Elgin, Ill., to become a hafiz while also enrolled in typical secular courses in math, science and literature.”
“November 29th, 2009 at 12: 05 am excellent mohamed abd el hafiz Says:”
“Under Mina's guidance, Hayat begins memorizing the Koran, hoping to become a "hafiz," or one who can recite the Koran from memory.”
“Actions are taken on 31 terrorist along with masud azhar and hafiz mohamed and also 65 workplaces of "Jammad-ud-dava" are been sealed off.”
“So far, strict actions are been taken on lethal terrorists like maulana masud ajhar, leader of lashkar-e-toeba, hafiz mohammed.”
“Labels: hafiz, poetry posted by bibliobibuli at 12: 16 AM”
“Labels: animah kosai, hafiz, kinokuniya, romance, valentines posted by bibliobibuli at 5: 28 PM”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘hafiz’.
Looking for tweets for hafiz.