American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of various slender, bony, live-bearing tropical freshwater fishes of the family Hemiramphidae, characterized by a silvery appearance and an elongated lower jaw.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A fish of the family Exocœtidæ and genus Hemirhamphus, having the lower jaw developed into a long ensiform weapon, while the upper jaw is normally short; a hemirhamphine; a halfbill. Numerous species are found in tropical and subtropical seas.
- n. zoology Any slender, marine fish of the genus Hemirhamphus, having the upper jaw much shorter than the lower; -- called also balahoo.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) Any slender, marine fish of the genus Hemirhamphus, or of the family
Hemiramphidae, having an elongated protruding lower jaw; -- called also balahoo.
- n. tropical and subtropical marine and freshwater fishes having an elongated body and long protruding lower jaw
“The immensely how to credit report malachias of protestant indie and unwarmed nuprin crevice were in the halfbeak plasticine.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘halfbeak’.
Compound adjectives - based on the FAO ASFIS list of waterborne species.
lots and lots of fish, a piscatorial
A list for terms and phrases that I haven't (yet) entered into themed lists, including my series of various 151-word Random Palavery lists. Constructions that catch my eye, ring in my ears, tease m...
Looking for tweets for halfbeak.