from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various slender, bony, live-bearing tropical freshwater fishes of the family Hemiramphidae, characterized by a silvery appearance and an elongated lower jaw.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any slender, marine fish of the genus Hemirhamphus, having the upper jaw much shorter than the lower; -- called also balahoo.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any slender, marine fish of the genus Hemirhamphus, or of the family Hemiramphidae, having an elongated protruding lower jaw; -- called also balahoo.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A fish of the family Exocœtidæ and genus Hemirhamphus, having the lower jaw developed into a long ensiform weapon, while the upper jaw is normally short; a hemirhamphine; a halfbill. Numerous species are found in tropical and subtropical seas.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. tropical and subtropical marine and freshwater fishes having an elongated body and long protruding lower jaw
Sorry, no etymologies found.