from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Nautical A rope used to raise or lower a sail, flag, or yard.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A rope used to raise or lower a sail, flag, spar or yard.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A rope or tackle for hoisting or lowering yards, sails, flags, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Nautical, a rope or purchase used to hoist or lower yards or sails on their respective masts or stays. All yards have halyards except the lower yards and lower topsail-yards.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a rope for raising or lowering a sail or flag
Alteration (influenced by yard1) of Middle English halier, from halen, to pull; see hale2.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)