from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A linear measurement approximating the width of the palm of the hand, from 2 1/2 to 4 inches (6.25 to 10 centimeters).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A space equal to the breadth of the hand; a palm - Exodus 37:12
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A space equal to the breadth of the hand; a palm.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A space equal to the breadth of the hand; a palm: a unit of length in many metrical systems; especially, in books of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, one fourth of a philosophical foot, equal to about 2.45 English inches. Also called hand's-breadth.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any unit of length based on the breadth of the human hand
Sorry, no etymologies found.