from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A hair seal (Phoca vitulina) of coastal waters of the Northern Hemisphere, having a spotted coat.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A species of true seals, Phoca vitulina.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the common seal.
- n. the common seal (Phoca vitulina). It inhabits both the North Atlantic and the North Pacific Ocean, and often ascends rivers; -- called also marbled seal, native seal, river seal, bay seal, land seal, sea calf, sea cat, sea dog, dotard, ranger, selchie, tangfish.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The common seal, Phoca vitulina.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small spotted seal of coastal waters of the northern hemisphere
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.