from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A woody plant (Spiraea tomentosa) of eastern North America, having leaves with rusty down on the undersides and spikelike clusters of small, rose-purple flowers. Also called steeplebush.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A plant, the steeplebush.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A very astringent shrub (Spiræa tomentosa), common in pastures. The Potentilla fruticosa is also called by this name.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A low shrub, Spiræa tomentosa, with woolly leaves and pods, and dense terminal panicles of rose-colored or white flowers. Also called steeplebush.
- n. The hop-hornbeam, Ostrya Virginiana.
Sorry, no etymologies found.