from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. An umbelliferous plant (Bupleurum rotundifolium); -- so named from the shape of its leaves.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. A European umbelliferous plant, Bupleurum rotundifolium, having alternate perfoliate leaves, the auricled base closing round the stem. Also called thoroughwax.
  • n. A plant of the cruciferous genus Conringia, of either of the species C. Austriacum and C. orientale, having similar auriculate leaves.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.