from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Botany Having the shape of an arrowhead but with the basal lobes pointing outward at right angles: hastate leaves.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, or pertaining to a spear.
- adj. Shaped similarly to a halberd, with pointed lobes pointed outward from the base.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Shaped like the head of a halberd; triangular, with the basal angles or lobes spreading.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Furnished with a sharp point or head for thrusting or cutting: said of a weapon, such as the spear, pike, partizan, or battle-ax.
- Shaped like the head of a spear; specifically, in botany, triangular nearly down to the base, and then abruptly widened into two lateral lobes at right angles to the principal axis: said chiefly of leaves.
- Also hastiform.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. (of a leaf shape) like a spear point, with flaring pointed lobes at the base
English grammar What shape does the word hastate refer to?
The affect of watching movies online is quite hastate and begins when you select a honest website then you can hunting your contender flick by putting its kinfolk, in the seek box.
Tannia plants can reach a height of about 2 m and have a short erect stem and large, long-stalked sagittate or hastate leaves, which differ from those of Colocasia in that the leaf stalk joins the blade at the margin between the lobes
Radical leaves nine inches long, four inches wide, oval-hastate or halberd-shaped, growing on long footstalks.
The leaves are doubly hastate or halberd shaped, and somewhat wrinkled: the lower ones measure from twelve to fourteen inches in length, and from six to eight in breadth.
He stands upright, savage but mild, with his beard in curling prongs, his lean frame, his raiment of camel-skin; we can hear him speaking as he points to the Lamb carrying the hastate cross surrounded by a nimbus, pressing it to his bosom with both hands.
I aim to please, so what ever your requirements/needs may be please do not hastate to me and we'll see what we can do.
Once you give the money, they even don't bother to know what you are carrying in the container but if you hastate to give them kitu kidogo
a hastate lamina, the form of which is so perfect that were it not from the venation of the sheath it would be considered that there was here a union of two leaves rather than a bifurcation of one.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.