from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A Eurasian bird (Coccothraustes coccothraustes) having a thick bill, a short, white-tipped tail, and brown, white, and black plumage.
- n. Any of various birds similar or related to this bird.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A large Eurasian finch, Coccothraustes coccothraustes, with a thick bill.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The common European grosbeak (Coccothraustes vulgaris); -- called also cherry finch, and coble.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The hawthorn-grosbeak, Coccothraustes vulgaris, a common European fringilline bird, about 6 inches long, with a very stout, turgid bill, the ends of the inner secondaries obliquely curved and truncated, and the plumage much variegated. See also cut under Coccothraustes.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a common large finch of Eurasia
haw2 + finch.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)