from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An owl of India (Ninox scutellatus).
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The day-owl, Surnia ulula or Ulula funerea: so called from its diurnal habits and notable rapacity.
- n. The short-eared owl. Strix brachyotus or Asio accipitrinus.
- n. The harfang or great snowy owl, Nyctea nivea.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. grey-and-white diurnal hawk-like owl of northern parts of the northern hemisphere
Sorry, no etymologies found.