from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In a saw-mill, the device which supports or holds the log and carries it to the saw; specifically, the forward carriage, on which the head of the log rests.
- n. A block of wood placed under the upper ring of the fifth wheel of a carriage, and connected with the spring and the perches.
- n. In a railroad switch, the timber on which the switch-stand and the ends of the switch-rails rest.
- n. The pivoted casting at the top of the mast of a derrick, to which the guy-ropes, tackle-blocks, etc., are fastened.
- n. The log placed under the front end of the skids in a skidway, to raise them to the desired height.
Sorry, no etymologies found.