from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An environment capable of absorbing heat from an object with which it is in thermal contact without a phase change or an appreciable change in temperature.
- n. A protective device that absorbs and dissipates the excess heat generated by a system.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An object, system or environment that absorbs and dissipates heat from objects in thermal contact (either direct or radiant) with it.
- n. A place toward which the heat moves in a system.
- n. A material capable of absorbing heat.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a metal conductor specially designed to conduct (and radiate) heat
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.