from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A type of schizophrenia characterized by foolish mannerisms, senseless laughter, delusions, hallucinations, and regressive behavior.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A type of mental disorder occurring during puberty.
- n. A form of schizophrenia characterised by inappropriate behaviour and emotional responses.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A form of insanity incident to the age of puberty.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a form of schizophrenia characterized by severe disintegration of personality including erratic speech and childish mannerisms and bizarre behavior; usually becomes evident during puberty; the most common diagnostic category in mental institutions
Greek hēbē, youth + -phrenia.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek ἥβη ("youthful beauty") (also Ἥβη ("the goddess Hebe")) + φρήν ("mind"). (Wiktionary)