from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A metric unit of area equal to 100 ares (2.471 acres). See Table at measurement.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A unit of surface area (symbol ha) equal to 100 ares (that is, 10,000 square metres, one hundredth of a square kilometre, or approximately 2.5 acres), used for measuring the areas of geographical features such as land and bodies of water.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A measure of area, or superficies, containing a hundred ares, or 10,000 square meters, and equivalent to 2.471 acres.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In the metric system, a superficial measure equal to 100 ares, or 10,000 square meters, or 2.4711 acres.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (abbreviated `ha') a unit of surface area equal to 100 ares (or 10,000 square meters)
From French hectare, formed from Ancient Greek ἑκατόν (hekaton, "hundred") + are. (Wiktionary)