from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to the blood or blood vessels.
- adj. Relating to or located on the side of the body that contains the heart and principal blood vessels.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Alternative form of haemal.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Relating to the blood or blood vessels; pertaining to, situated in the region of, or on the side with, the heart and great blood vessels; -- opposed to neural.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having the character of blood; sanguineous; bloody: as, the hemal fluid. Also hemic, hæmic.
- Pertaining to or connected with blood, blood-vessels, or blood-circulation; vascular; circulatory: as, the hemal system.
- Situated on the side of the body, with reference to the vertebral axis, which contains the heart and great blood-vessels; ventral: the opposite of neural.
- A median process of the hemal side of the body of a vertebra; a hypapophysis: a rare use.
- n. Same as hemal spine. Caudal with long neurals and hæmals.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. relating to the blood vessels or blood
Sorry, no etymologies found.