from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A blue to blackish-brown compound, C34H32N4O4·FeOH, formed in the decomposition of hemoglobin.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Hemoglobin with iron in ferric state.
- n. Hemin.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Hematoxylin.
- n. A bluish black, amorphous substance containing iron and obtained from blood. It exists the red blood corpuscles united with globulin, and the form of hemoglobin or oxyhemoglobin gives to the blood its red color.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A brown amorphous substance derived from hemoglobin in the blood, also forming scales of a bluish-black color with a metallic luster.
- n. Same as hematoxylin.
- n. Also spelled hematine, hæmatine.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a complex red organic pigment containing iron and other atoms to which oxygen binds
Sorry, no etymologies found.