American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A semicircle.
- n. A semicircular structure or arrangement.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A half-cycle or a halfcircle; a semicircle.
- n. A semicircular arena; a room or division of a room in the form of semicircle; especially, such a room with seats in semicircular rows, or such an arrangement of seats in any room.
- n. semicircle
- n. architecture A semicircular structure
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A half circle; a semicircle.
- n. A semicircular place, as a semicircular arena, or room, or part of a room.
- n. a plane figure with the shape of half a circle
- French hémicycle, from Latin hēmicyclium, from Greek hēmikuklion : hēmi-, hemi- + kuklion, neuter of kuklios, circular (from kuklos, circle; see cycle). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Their courtly coffins are ranged in a kind of hemicycle, with the little coffins of the children that died before they came to the knowledge of their greatness.”
“It is a very short voting list (they are all in the 'hemicycle' voting on it as I write this), mostly concerning foreign affairs, so UKIP decided to abstain on most of the issues.”
“With a six-story spiraling ramp, the Guggenheim is a hallmark example of "hemicycle" design.”
“All of the discourses will be worth following, of course, but it will be interesting to read the address to the French Bishops at the hemicycle on Sunday.”
“In 1837 Delaroche received the commission for the great picture, 27 metres long, in the hemicycle of the award theatre of the École des Beaux Arts.”
“The head of the European Parliament security refusing to let the peaceful protest anywhere near the hemicycle”
“Anyway, further to moans and whining from MEPs like Archbishop Richard Corbett, smuggly sitting in the hemicycle at the moment having played his part in handing over yet more of our sovereignty, here is why Roll Call Votes cost money: 1. Figures provided by the Printing Unit printing of provisional version in hard copy:”
“And I was leading three large chickens along towards the hemicycle.”
“Last month the Green group were allowed people dressed up on the bridges to the hemicycle.”
“I have, once again, been thrown out of the hemicycle because I am a girl who is not pro the EU.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘hemicycle’.
Terms associated with the workings of the European Parliament
action for annulment, adjournment of de..., admissibility of ..., adoption of a text, agenda, allowances of MEPs, amendment, assent procedure, associated commit..., attendance register, blue card, breach of the Mem... and 241 more...
for the same
The vocabulary of conference interpreting. I commend this list to those who want to know more about the profession and to those who wish to organize their knowledge about the profession. To aspirin...
Looking for tweets for hemicycle.