from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A semicircle.
- n. A semicircular structure or arrangement.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. semicircle
- n. A semicircular structure
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A half circle; a semicircle.
- n. A semicircular place, as a semicircular arena, or room, or part of a room.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A half-cycle or a halfcircle; a semicircle.
- n. A semicircular arena; a room or division of a room in the form of a semicircle; especially, such a room with seats in semicircular rows, or such an arrangement of seats in any room.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a plane figure with the shape of half a circle
French hémicycle, from Latin hēmicyclium, from Greek hēmikuklion : hēmi-, hemi- + kuklion, neuter of kuklios, circular (from kuklos, circle; see cycle).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)