American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Undergoing a metamorphosis that lacks a pupal stage. Used of certain insects.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Undergoing partial metamorphosis, as one of the Hemimetabola.
- adj. Exhibiting hemimetabolism.
- adj. (of an insect with aquatic young) undergoing incomplete metamorphosis in which the young does not resemble the adult
- hemi- + metabol(ic) + -ous. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Of course, you cannot rewire an organisms because of all the dependencies (although many evolutionists think this is very simple, e.g. from a ametabolous insect to a holo - or hemimetabolous insect).”
“The EcR isoforms were newly identified in 51 species of insects and non-insect arthropods, including direct-developing ametabolous and hemimetabolous insects.”
“Thus, intensive costly food provisioning of their young is not necessary, especially as young instars are rather independent due to their hemimetabolous development.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘hemimetabolous’.
A roster of adjectives that infrequently surface in typical conversation and writing. Many are dredged from scientific or other technical jargon or sieved from examples of disused archaic forms.
Looking for tweets for hemimetabolous.