from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An agent, such as a chemical, that stops bleeding.
- n. A clamplike instrument used to compress a blood vessel in order to reduce or arrest the flow of blood during surgery.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. an instrument that clamps blood vessels to diminish or halt blood flow
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a surgical instrument that stops bleeding by clamping the blood vessel.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An instrument used to compress a bleeding vessel in order to arrest hemorrhage.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a surgical instrument that stops bleeding by clamping the blood vessel
From Latin hemo- (from Ancient Greek haemo-), "blood" ; + -stata , "standing" (Wiktionary)