Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To seize; lay hold on; grasp.
- At hand; near at hand; near; nigh; convenient: in this sense generally in the predicate, and equivalent to the adverb. See hend, adverb
- Handy; dexterous; clever; accomplished.
- Civil; courteous; polite; gracious; kind; gentle; noble; excellent; good: much used in Middle English poetry as a general expression of praise.
- Good; excellent: used of things.
- n. A gentle, noble, excellent person.
- At hand; near at hand. See hend, adjective
- Civilly; courteously; kindly; honorably.
- Possibly shortened from Old English ġehendan ("take hold of"). (Wiktionary)
“If one decides that it was borrowed, there's no more obvious and more direct source than Latin pre-hend- I can think of currently, yet as we all agree, it has it's share of problems.”
“From this implied Latin verb root *hend-, we are certainly free to muse light-heartedly on how we can obtain *handus 'grasper' from it, and very curiously, noting on how it rhymes with the attested Latin word for 'hand', manus.”
“But do thou, O my son, don the cap and hend the rod in hand and enter the place where thy wife and children are.”
“Allah hath appointed the end of my life for thy hand to hend, and it is His will that slain I be and King Karazdan be healed of his malady.”
“Ai neber taught hit wood hend lik tis, awlwaes tink yud git hit bai a truk”
“‘This is the hend, is it,’ said Miss Squeers, tossing her head, and looking contemptuously at the floor, ‘of my taking notice of that rubbishing creature, and demeaning myself to patronise her?’”
“I threw such an igspresshn of unuttrable tenderniss into the shake at the hend, that Hangelina could bare it no more.”
“For it was then a pretty thing happened of pure diversion mayhap, when his flattering hend, at the justright moment, like perchance some cook of corage might clip the lad on a poot of porage handshut his duckhouse, the vivid girl, deaf with love,”
“He had experienced it, and he used that experience to shape something he could hend, if not understand.”
“He read no books, appreciated none of the great plays then available in Vienna, understood no music except German military marches, and failed even to compre - hend the vast political movements which agitated his empire.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘hend’.
words found roaming the streets, now up for adoption. If no one adopts them, they may be put down.
Update: j/k, no, they will simply continue to populate the long, long tail of obsolet...
A list of all known Heroic Classes available to players of the game Sburb within the Homestuck universe, as well as any other words I can think of which would theoretically adhere to the known guid...
Looking for tweets for hend.