from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To travel by soliciting free rides along a road.
- transitive v. To solicit or get (a free ride) along a road.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To try to get a ride in a passing vehicle while standing at the side of a road. Generally by either sticking out one's finger or thumb or holding a sign with one's stated destination.
- v. To be carried along with something else, for example Genetic Hitchhiking where a gene is propagated because it occurs in conjunction with a favourable mutation, or Cultural Hitchhiking where a cultural trait spreads with a technologically advanced population.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To travel by getting free rides from passing vehicles.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. travel by getting free rides from motorists
Sorry, no etymologies found.