from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. That can obtain nutrition without the ingestion of food
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Wholly or distinctively vegetable.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Resembling closely an ordinary green plant in mode of nutrition: said of an animal, as an infusorian: correlated with saprophytic, and opposed to holozoic.
- In botany, having the character of a complete plant in point of nutrition; autotrophic: said of ordinary green plants as opposed to parasites and saprophytes.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. obtaining nourishment as green plants do
holo- + -phytic (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.