American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or exhibiting homoplasy.
- adj. Of, relating to, or derived from a different individual of the same species: a homoplastic graft.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In biology and botany, molded alike, or constructed in the same manner, but not having the same origin; analogical or adaptive, and not homological, in structure; homomorphous in texture: distinguished from homogenous or homogenetic. Also homoplasmic.
- adj. Of, or relating to homoplasy.
- adj. Of, or relating to the transplantation of tissue between individuals of the same species.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of or pertaining to homoplasty
“Autoplastic and homoplastic transplantations of arteries and veins may, therefore, be adopted in surgical practice for those cases in which it is necessary to reestablish the continuity of an artery.”
“After that I endeavoured to ascertain to what extent the organs fulfilled their functions, according as the transplantations were autoplastic or homoplastic.”
“We also succeeded in performing the first homoplastic transplantation of the kidney, which consisted in grafting both kidneys of one dog "en masse" on to another dog.”
“If the transplanted segment is from the same animal, or from another animal of the same kind, or from a different kind of animal, the transplantations are autoplastic, homoplastic or heteroplastic respectively.”
“In the homoplastic transplantations the clinical evolution showed the same results, but all the muscular fibres disappeared more or less rapidly.”
“In homoplastic transplantations the appearance of the vessel also remained normal.”
“These can be divided into two classes - autoplastic transplantations and homoplastic transplantations.”
“I have performed many venous transplantations, both autoplastic and homoplastic.”
“Serial homologues so formed might be called, as Mr. Ray Lankester has proposed, "homoplastic.”
“He proposes to call the structures which resemble each other in distinct animals, owing to their descent from a common progenitor with subsequent modification, homogenous; and the resemblances which cannot thus be accounted for, he proposes to call homoplastic.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘homoplastic’.
List of words, mostly adjectives, that end in -plastic.
Ironic that in this list "plastic", contrary to its definition, remains fixed and immutable at the end of each word. Only the ac...
A roster of adjectives that infrequently surface in typical conversation and writing. Many are dredged from scientific or other technical jargon or sieved from examples of disused archaic forms.
Looking for tweets for homoplastic.