from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Upstate New York, Northern Pennsylvania, & Western New England See shivaree. See Regional Note at shivaree.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of horn.
- n. The activity of blowing the horn of a train
- n. The appearance of the Moon when increasing, or in the form of a crescent.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Appearance of the moon when increasing, or in the form of a crescent.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The appearance of the crescent moon.
- n. A mock serenade with tin horns and other discordant instruments, performed either in humorous congratulation, as of a newly married couple, or as a manifestation of public disapproval, as of some obnoxious person.
- n. Public proclamation by the blowing of a horn; specifically, same as letters of horning.
- n. See horn, n., 4 .
Probably because horns are blown at the shivaree.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)