American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. See saurel.
- n. Any of several tunas or related fishes.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of several fishes more or less nearly related to the mackerel. The common tunny.
- n. In Sydney, Australia, Auxis ramsayi, of the family Scombridæ; in New Zealand, Trachurus trachurus, which is the same fish as the horse-mackerel of England.
- n. A large fish; variously the Australian bonito (Sarda australis), the pilot fish (Naucrates ductor), or the jack mackerel (genus Trachurus).
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. See under Horse.
- n. a California food fish
- n. largest tuna; to 1500 pounds; of mostly temperate seas: feed in polar regions but breed in tropics
- n. large elongated compressed food fish of the Atlantic waters of Europe
“Why, I was comin 'home from Diver's Rock the other day – just a week ago last Saturday – I had been round there up the shore after fish; – you know the rock where the horse mackerel comes?”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘horse mackerel’.
Looking for tweets for horse mackerel.