from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The spore-bearing layer of the fruiting body of certain fungi, containing asci or basidia.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The sporebearing surface of a fungus.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The spore-bearing surface of certain fungi, as that on the gills of a mushroom.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In botany, the fructifying surface in fungi, especially when the spores are naked.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. spore-bearing layer of cells in certain fungi containing asci or basidia
New Latin, from Greek humenion, diminutive of humēn, membrane; see hymen.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Ancient Greek ὑμενίων (humeniōn), diminutive of ὑμήν (humēn, "membrane"). (Wiktionary)