from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of a set of six functions related, for a real or complex variable x, to the hyperbola in a manner analogous to the relationship of the trigonometric functions to a circle, including:
- n. The hyperbolic sine, defined by the equation sinh x = 1/2 (ex - e-x).
- n. The hyperbolic cosine, defined by the equation cosh x = 1/2 (ex + e-x).
- n. The hyperbolic tangent, defined by the equation tanh x = sinh x/cosh x.
- n. The hyperbolic cotangent, defined by the equation coth x = cosh x/sinh x.
- n. The hyperbolic secant, defined by the equation sech x = 1/cosh x.
- n. The hyperbolic cosecant, defined by the equation csch x = 1/sinh x.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A function that is derived from some arithmetic operations on the exponential function with base e and the inverse function, and was named after the corresponding similar trigonometric function.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.