from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To ascribe material existence to.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To make into, or regarded as, a separate and distinct substance; to construct a contextually-subjective and complex abstraction, idea, or concept into a universal object without regard to nuance or change in character.
- v. To attribute actual or personal existence to.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To make into, or regarded as, a separate and distinct substance.
- transitive v. To attribute actual or personal existence to.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To attribute substantial existence to; make into or regard as a distinct individual substance or reality.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. construe as a real existence, of a conceptual entity
From Greek hupostatos, placed under, substantial, from huphistasthai, to stand under, exist : hupo, beneath; see hypo- + histasthai, middle voice of histanai, to set, place; see epistasis.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)