from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A large, level expanse of floating ice that is more than eight kilometers (five miles) in its greatest dimension.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a network of interconnected glaciers or ice streams having a common source
- n. a large expanse of floating ice (several miles long)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. an extensive sheet of ice.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A great sheet or floe of ice, at times so extensive in arctic seas that its limits cannot be seen from the masthead.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a large flat mass of ice (larger than an ice floe) floating at sea
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.