from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various extinct fishlike marine reptiles of the order Ichthyosauria of the Triassic Period to the Cretaceous Period, having a porpoiselike head and an elongated, toothed snout.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several extinct fishlike reptiles, of the order Ichthyosauria, that had a body somewhat like a porpoise.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of the Ichthyosaura.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A fish-like saurian; a member of the order Ichthyosauria.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of several marine reptiles of the Mesozoic having a body like a porpoise with dorsal and tail fins and paddle-shaped limbs
From New Latin ichthyosaurus : Greek ikhthuo-, ichthyo- + Greek sauros, lizard.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Adaptation of modern Latin ichthyosaurus. (Wiktionary)