from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Surgical construction of an artificial excretory opening through the abdominal wall into the ileum.
- n. The opening created by such a surgical procedure.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The surgical operation of attaching the ileum to the abdominal wall at a stoma (similar to a colostomy).
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In surgery, the formation of an artificial opening into the ileum, as between the jejunum and the ileum.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. surgical procedure that creates an opening from the ileum through the abdominal wall to function as an anus; performed in cases of cancer of the colon or ulcerative colitis
ile(um) + -stomy.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
ileo- + -stomy (Wiktionary)