American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A compound derived from ammonia and containing the bivalent NH group combined with a bivalent acid group or two monovalent acid groups.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In chem., a substituted ammonia in which two hydrogen atoms of ammonia are replaced by a bivalent acid radical, and the whole acts as a monobasic acid. An imide therefore contains the group NH, as carbimide, CO.NH.
- n. chemistry a form of amide in which the nitrogen atom is attached to two carbonyl groups - R1CONHCOR2
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Chem.) A compound with, or derivative of, the imido group; specif., a compound of one or more acid radicals with the imido group, or with a monamine; hence, also, a derivative of ammonia, in which two atoms of hydrogen have been replaced by divalent basic or acid radicals; -- frequently used as a combining form.
- n. any of a class of organic compounds that contain the divalent radical -CONHCO-
- Alteration of amide. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Mention should also be made of his other investigations; the conversion of chloral into dichloroacetic acid, the series of studies on the amide chlorides, imide chlorides, amidines, glyoxalines, etc., his work on azo dyes and diazo compounds, and many others.”
“The injection I gave her meg imide is an effective antidote.”
“Somewhat later, they found that it could be prepared from diazobenzene imide, provided a nitro group were present in the ortho or para position to the diazo group.”
“I wonder, "he went on, as though speaking to himself," what amount of damage nearly a ton and a half of that awful azo-imide compound has done to the old sphinx.”
“These azo-imide compounds are said to burn rather more safely than coal.”
“Alison Tamasi and Lauryn Wolfe presented a paper, "Synthesis of coordination polymers using the imide ligand [N - (4-carboxyphenyl) - 5-carboxypthalimide] and other novel imide ligands," at the division of inorganic chemistry symposium on Undergraduate Research at the Frontiers of Inorganic Chemistry.”
“Ultem 9085 polether imide with new machines designed for direct digital manufacturing, which is the production of parts directly from CAD files.”
“Other applications and solutions include ball bearings, bolts and screws, washers, shafts, hinges, spacers and other mechanical pieces Torlon® PAI (polyamide-imide), KetaSpire® PEEK (polyetheretherketone) and PrimoSpire® SRP”
“Ultem 9085 polether imide can now be used to make production parts on Victrex is being used on EOS laser sintering systems.”
Looking for tweets for imide.